Monday 6 October 2014

Front Garden Bed Planted & Figs

Sadly today is the last day of my holidays and Hi Ho it's
off to work I go tomorrow for the chaos that is
Term 4 at The Combined Schools Fees Office.....
I will also wave farewell to my girl today as she heads off to
 Uni in Newcastle for her final term of the year.....
The holidays were very eventful with my girl home from Uni,
lots of work completed on my little "Sewing Studio",
 garden bed makeovers, lots of weeding(With so much more
 to go)and 3 separate lots of visitors.....
Phew I think I need a holiday to get over the holidays....
Today I am going to share my front garden bed makeover,
 I always seem to get side tracked before during and after
projects and before this one started I had to clean out my
 shed because the old carpet that was in the far back corner
 was what I needed and couldn't get to.....
I am sure the shed gremlins have had a party out there!
I am using my old carpet as weed control in my garden,
 it lets the soil breath and the water seeps through keeping the
ground and plants nice and damp and best part doesn't let the
weeds through....
I am sure the passers by may have decided I had finally lost the
 plot carpeting my garden with cream carpet....Ha Ha!
After a trip to the garden centre I set about measuring
 out where the plants would go....
Then it was time to cut a hole for each one and plant them.....
I am having 2 informal hedges in my front bed....
The back one I will let grow to around 1.2 metres in height so
 as not to block out the house completely but to add a little privacy
for when I am sitting out the front watching the world go by.....
The back one is Escalonia Iveyi(Glossy and evergreen and has
 a pretty white flower in the summer months) it responds really
 well to pruning and always looks happy....
The front hedge I will gow to around 50 to 60 cm and
 is called Tuecrium(foliage is similar colour to
 that of lavender and has a tiny blue flower throughout spring and
summer) it also responds well to pruning and tolerates frosts etc.
I think they will be a nice backdrop to my pink standard Bonica
 roses that are planted across the front fence....
After planting the mini bark chip goes straight over the top of
 the old carpet and hey presto no weeds.....
My Espalier Camelia now doesn't look so lonely out there...
I purchased this fig tree at the markets about 2 years ago and it
 was a sad little stick of a thing that was leaning
over the edge of a 15cm pot....
That is where it stayed for 12 months or so until I transplanted it
into this bigger pot and stood it up straight to face the world....
The jury is still out as to where it will go in my yard
 so at this stage it is still in the pot....
I noticed that the leaves are just coming on for this season as with
 lots of things around the place at the moment with the
beautiful Spring weather we are having....
Imagine my delight when I noticed these tiny little figs popping out
 of the stems near the leaves....
Just goes to show if you love something and give it the right
amount of attention it will in turn flourish and reward....
It is a long weekend here in Australia so I hope all my
 Aussie blog buddies are enjoying a lovely day off....
 
Until next time, Happy Stitching
 
Kate
 
 

11 comments:

Cardygirl said...

The front yard will be beautiful!

Christine M said...

Your garden will be lovely once the plants all take off, Kate.

Cheryll said...

Your yard is coming along beautifully...& will be stunning next season once established. Great tip using the old carpet too! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate you garden is looking great,boy you work wonders at whatever you put your hand to,well done my friend and enjoy your last day of holidays.xx

Susan said...

Love your work in the garden, you have been really busy. Will look delightful when it all grows and flowers.

Unknown said...

You will need a holiday after the holiday with all that you have achieved over the past few weeks. Your garden and home look so fresh and pretty. You are doing such a great job.

Anthea said...

Kate that is such a clever idea to use the carpet... so helpful to the plants in both winter & summer...

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Looking real good Miss Kate...

Michelle said...

The front yard is looking beautiful Kate, well done. I hadn't heard that about carpet-it might come in handy that tip, thanks. Well done with the fig tree.
Michelle

Wendy said...

Your garden looks amazing Kate!

suzeblack said...

Garden is looking great! Need some camo so we can sit out on the verandah on the plonk ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...