Monday 19 January 2015

Building A Design Wall Part Two

Hello and welcome back to part two of my design wall
 tutorial, my inner frame is up on the wall and it is time to
 cut mitred corners in the bull nose maple for the outer frame...
I also stained the lengths first to save time afterwards....
 I have nailed the right hand side of the outer frame to the
 inner frame and once again pushed pulled and
 cursed until I got it as straight as possible....
I then slid one of the insulation boards in
behind the frame to see if it was a nice fit....
I hung a piece of white and a piece of natural
 coloured wadding over the board....
After a cup of tea and some careful deliberation I think
 I am going to go with the natural colour....
I don't think the white will be very forgiving
 with loose threads and fluff...
Next job was to cut a length from the second insulation board
to be joined to the first board to make up the required size...
I  cut it through with a stanley knife and ruler....
It is so light and nice and sturdy so very easy to work with...
Here is a pic of the two pieces sitting inside the frame...
I put the top frame up with a couple of nails to hold it all into
place while I taped the two parts together with packing tape...
I love how the foam sheeting looks like a giant cutting
board on this side, purely coincidental....
I ran a couple of layers of packing tape along
the join to hold the two pieces together....
The reverse side of the foam insulation boards are silver...
I pulled the boards out and ran another couple of
 layers of packing tape along the silver side....
I plan to use the offcut for smaller design boards
 but that will be a project for another time....
That's all for this post....
Stay tuned for the next post where it will all come together...
At least I hope it does....LOL!
I am off to purchase some wadding and will be having fun with
 my staple gun today while I attempt to cover that big board....
I am excited to see how it will turn out...
 
Until next time, Happy Stitching
 
Kate

5 comments:

barb's creations said...

OH WOW....looking good Kate! :) Barb.

Susan said...

Loving it!

Lyn said...

It's great following your construction and you are making a wonderful job of it..

Lynda said...

Oh Kate - this is so impressive and I can't wait to see it finished.

Penny said...

Looks fabulous. About 18 months ago we search for foam board to do the same thing but could not find it.We went to Mitre 10, Bunnings, Masters to no avail so mine is a white flannelette sheet hanging on a rod. Its ok but would still love a better one. Congratulations on such a professional job.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...