Tuesday 11 March 2014

Polished Floor Boards



My first little "Home Sweet Home" project I am going to share is the transformation of my floorboards. My house took 6 months to settle because the owners sub divided the block and reduced it from 2000 spare metres to 1000. Thank the Lord! 1000 square metres of yard is more than enough to keep me busy for the next 20 years. My house sits on the front half of the block and my backyard is spacious to say the least. I wish I could pick it up like a lego house and move it to the back of the block and put a circle driveway in the front. Sigh.....So many ideas in this head of mine, it scares me sometimes....ha ha!
The people I purchased the house from were kind enough to let me get in and start doing floors, painting etc before we settled so in December 2012 the floor boards were transformed. The house was fully carpeted with an old cream carpet and the kitchen had lino.
 


So first job was to pull all the carpet up ( I have it saved in the shed for a future project....but that will be another post) The carpet and lino was even stapled/stuck to all the kickboards on the kitchen cupboards. Was a big day for me but rewarding as I could see some progress finally.




Next step was to remove the part of the kitchen cupboard that divided the kitchen and dining areas as I wanted that room to be open plan. That cupboard had a firm grip on the wall and floor but I was determined for it to come out before I went home that evening....The kitchen will get a complete transformation in the future but at this stage it is a very ugly retro style and not at all me but thankfully as I grow older I am slowly developing patience.....I know that those who know me well will doubt that but truly I am. The pictures below show you the state of the boards before they were sanded. Some areas had Black Japan painted on them and others had paint splatters etc. A friend of mine was quite concerned that they wouldn't look any good but I told her to have faith. I am lucky that for an older style house it feels quite light and airy and was amazed at how much darker it was in the house with the dark boards. Tiredness was overcoming me at this point and I was starting to have a few doubts, but I had the bigger picture in my head of how it would look and tried to stay positive as I knew my funds would not allow me to change it again in a hurry.








These following few pictures show the boards after they had the first run of the sander over them, you can still see the darker colour along the edges as he hadn't started those yet. Lucky for the man that was doing them, I had to work or I may have been his apprentice for the week.....Very lucky for him....Ha ha!




And this is how they now look....Yay!
he did an amazing job and it so suits the house, a lot of people were concerned that they would be cold but the gas heater that you can see in the fireplace in the lounge room(as ugly as it is, must of been put in with the kitchen...lol....It will also get a transformation....One day!) is very warm and heats the whole house and being double brick it holds it's warmth.


So what do you think? Improvement?

Thanks for sharing my journey of making a house my "Home"....

Until next time, do what makes you happy....

Hugs.....Kate x
PS Not sure why there is a big gap between here and the comments below but I can't get rid if it....sorry :)







25 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

the floors look great............

Baa. xxx said...

Polished floors are the best! I made my hubby rip our ugly carpet out and we polished ours - Rimu! Beautiful! You will love yours. Karen

Unknown said...

A great improvement Kate. Love the hallway too. Sharyn:)

Lynda said...

Your floors look fabulous - nothing like beautiful polished floors.

Anonymous said...

Kate your floors look awesome,well done,you have great ideas,see you soon.xx

Christine M said...

Your floors look great, Kate.

Ann said...

Love it!

Michelle said...

Absolutely......WOW !!
I await the next installment........lol

marina said...

what a beautiful transformation, that wood flooring looks wonderful really makes the entrance.
sounds like you have really had a hard time this past year, hope this year brings you a lot better things.

creations.1 said...

What a difference!! And it is a warm colour also, so once you have your furniture and homey things all set up it will be cosy and comfy!!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Beautiful! They look amazing! I love polished timber floors.

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful Kate, love the year journey we have been on with you xx

Anthea said...

It's a beautiful transformation Kate, the floors look welcoming, home-y and relaxed...


Now to the gap at the end of the post - I can help - what's happened is that somehow a lot of 'enter' has been hit, but it's hard to see that. The easiest fix is to go in to 'edit post', scroll right down to the bottom (there should be a lot of blank space after the blogpost text) then just hit 'backspace' until you are right back up to the end of the text. Preview that just to make sure...
Hope that helps !! x

jfoster8 said...

I LOVE your house...looking good

Googy Girl said...

Looks great, I love floor boards most of our house is polished floor boards

Anita : Shabby Quilt said...

What a transformation. Lovely looks like brand new.

Susan said...

Kate - it was really great meeting up with you in Nundle - you are just like your blog posts! The floors look great in your house - so much nicer than old tired carpet. Thanks for joining my blog - you wont see much Home Improvement there but some sewing ...
I remember I first came across your blog via the My Town BOM blog...have you finished that one??
I aim to finish my reduced version this year...

Willow Grove - Kez said...

Your floor have turned out awesome. The house has great character It will be so nice when you have it finished.
So nice to meet you on the weekend too. Keep blogging. Hahaha. :).

Jindi's Cottage said...

Your house has SO MUCH potential...the floors look great, fabulous start...looking forward to seeing it all come together for you...

newsurfiegirl said...

wow what an amazing transformation! Great job.

Larissa said...

Wow! What a fabulous transformation!!! Well done for sticking with it and seeing the job through - it certainly looks like it was worth it!!

Larissa said...

Wow! What a fabulous transformation!!! Well done for sticking with it and seeing the job through - it certainly looks like it was worth it!!

Katherine said...

Wonderful transformation! You must be so thrilled. I adore wood floors and the colour change on yours is fabulous. All that hard work really paid off.

Dasha said...

The new floors look lovely. I had flooring put in when we moved here - such an improvement on tatty shag pile carpet!

Unknown said...

Wow! You did such an amazing job with the wooden flooring. The transformation is so amazing. You just gotta love the amazingly polished wood. I truly believe you have a talent of transforming drab and dreary to brilliant and beautiful. Always keep that wonderful gift of yours! Cheers!

Todd Bailey @ McCoy Maintenance

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...