Saturday 29 October 2011

Quick & Easy Jelly Roll Quilt Tutorial

After a clean up in my sewing space I found
 a project that I had shown you HERE....
This is a project that I saw on Chooky Blue's Blog earlier
in the year and I thought I would share it....
I am using Thimbleberries fabric.....
Step 1: Mitre the ends of one full Jelly Roll.....
Step 2: Randomly join all of the strips together
 like if you were making binding......
You will end up with a pile that looks something like this.....
Can you believe that there are only 5 more seams to
 sew and the quilt top will be complete.....
What! You don't believe me, just you wait and see....
Step 3: Press all the seams flat......
Step 4: Cut an 18 inch strip off one end only.....
This is important so the rows will join together at
 different intervals and give a scrappy finish...
Step 5: Grab either end and sew the strips right side
 together to form the first seam.....
At the end make a cut through the fold so it lays flat.....
This one will take the most time because it is the longest....
Step 6: Take both ends again and sew your second seam
 with the right sides together to form the next row
 and also cut through the fold at the end 4 rows wide.....
Are you getting the hang of it yet?
Step 7: Continue with the 3rd seam in the
same way until it is 8 rows wide....
Step 8: Repeat the process and sew the 4th and 5th
 seams until you have 16 and then 32 rows...
Step 9: Trim the sides of the quilt top so they are even....
Ta Dah!!!! Cool huh!!!!
This is mine flapping in the breeze on the clothes line...
All that is left to do now is square up the
edges and quilt and bind as desired....
Or you may like to add some extra borders as well...
I am not sure how I will finish mine off yet....
ENJOY!!!!!
Not bad for a couple of hours work....
Until next time, happy Stitching

Kate

7 comments:

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

wow Kate looks fantastic.....I have one of these made and stashed away...I just need to quilt it...they are fun to make, great tutorial...

suzeblack said...

Wow! looks great...it just so happens that I have 2 jelly rolls stashed away;) surprised? lol xo suze.

Larissa said...

Thanks for this Kate! I was wondering how this was a 'quick' quilt top (have seen them all over blogland)... and now I know!!! Will definitely have to get myself another jelly roll to try out this method! PS. I love the roll you've used!!

Anonymous said...

looks Fantastic Kate and thankyou for the tutorial

Unknown said...

Love it Kate. Have a jelly roll that I would love to make into this quilt, just need to learn to mitre..... I am too slow with this bit.

Britt Lauren said...

Wow!! That is so cool that you can use all those little pieces of fabric to make such a beautiful quilt!! Very neat!!

Susan said...

I have often wondered how those quilts went together - thanks - and a great idea for left over strips from binding etc.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...