Monday 28 September 2015

Binding Quilts in my Studio

It's school holidays here at the moment which means I
am on holidays from work as well.....Yay!
It's been nice to spend some time in my studio working on
 a few projects, I did have plans for work in the yard but the
 unseasonal icy winds have  pushed me inside.....
I have 2 quilts to bind and I usually make my binding before
 the quilt heads off to get quilted but alas this was  not so
 for these two quilts, it was vintage modern first up.....
So cut all the binding strips I did....
And then I neatened all the sides up.....
Binding strips for my Nundle Off Centre Linen Quilt next.....
And some more trimming....
It was a bit tricky getting the stripes to match up.....
I am pleased with how well my stripy
linen binding came together....
Some quiet time sewing on the bind....
I am loving my wall shelf that I picked up at
 The Home Patch a few weeks ago.....
Next up the red spotty bind, a gorgeous lady named Barb
sent me this red fabric to match my quilt,
Bloggers are so generous....Thanks again Barb xx
A good afternoons work....
All pinned and ready for some hand stitching....
Do you like to pin your bind before you hand stitch it down?
I do, I love the bumpy texture and then in turn the smooth
 finish as I stitch each side down....
I find hand stitching the binding very therapeutic all the
 while having a sense of accomplishment as I go....
Not long now until I have a couple of finishes....
 
Until next time, Happy Stitching
 
Kate

13 comments:

Googy Girl said...

Ohhh a holiday would be lovely. You did a great job matching up the stripes on the binding. I use clips for holding the binding down. I got stuck too many times , with pins. I love binding it s my favourite bit.

KERYN B said...

Two very beautiful finishes.

Anita : Shabby Quilt said...

Congratulation on totally finishing some great quilts.

Fiona said...

Lovely quilts and I do love stripey binding.. your creative space is just lovely too...
Hugz

Kylie said...

Gorgeous quilts Kate!- I use wonder clips instead of pins - they are amazing!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Love your studio. The quilts are lovely xx

jfoster8 said...

I love hand sewing the binding down as well...

barb's creations said...

Mmmm hand binding is my least favourite thing to do, but I do like it when a quilt is finally finished. Glad to have been able to help you with the fabric for your Bonnie and Camille quilt Kate :) Barb.

Susan said...

YOur studio looks so peaceful - BInding is quite restful ...but I am a convert to clips now too.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely, peaceful sewing space. Your quilts are very pretty. I no longer pin my bindings, I use hair clips, work great and cost less than the little clips fabric stores sell. Blessings, Gretchen

Anthea said...

Kate it's lovely to see your Studio looking a bit 'lived in' now, shows you've had it a while now & you're enjoying time in there.
Both quilts look wonderful, & wow I thought I was the only bind-pinner on earth, so it's great to see others do it too. I can never get it to sit right if I don't pin it

Simone Harding said...

Woohoo holidays are the best. Love those quilts and that shelf is ridiculously perfect for your room.
Enjoy the last week of your holidays, me I have only this week off.

Christine M said...

School holidays are great aren't they! I usually get extra sewing in as there's no school pick up/drop off or after school activities. Your quilts look great, Kate.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...