Sunday 1 February 2015

Corner Sewing Bench Part 2

Good Morning Ladies and welcome back to my sewing bench update. I had lots of fun yesterday creating in my Studio. After taking the three constructed flat pack units out there (see yesterdays post) I played around with the best layout. One side of my bench is just over 140cm and the other side is around 210cm's. Originally I was going to put the open shelf unit and one of the drawer units right beside each other at the left side of the 210 bench and the other drawer unit at the right side of the 140 bench with a couple of metal legs that I picked up at Ikea in the corner for support. This also meant I had to secure the 2 benches together somehow. I was just going to figure that part out as I went. This would have given me an open corner area for swapping between my machine and my overlocker.
Have I lost you yet????
Anyway after careful consideration I came up with a different layout that gives me 2 separate sewing spots which is better because I now have an extra spot for a blog buddy to come over and sew....Perfect!
And I also have eliminated the need for the legs all together, this has given me a stronger bench space and more storage options. I called up an ordered another open shelf unit yesterday to use in the corner. Plus I get to build another flat pack....Woo Hoo! Ha Ha
So to begin with it was measure twice and cut once....
Then out to my workshop, the backyard....
I really should have been more organized and gotten out there
 while there was still shade but oh well it was on with the
 sunglasses to stop the glare from the melamine shelving,
and believe me it was very bright....
 Another check with the measurements....
And then the fun part....I unpacked my new toy and adjusted
 the settings etc for the thickness of the chipboard.....
And the first cut was made, I am pleased to say all limbs are
still in tact and the cut was relatively straight.....
 I am sure I will improve with practice....
I was surprise at how easily the saw glided through the board,
 it was like cutting butter. The trick really
 is to just guide it in a straight line....
Being melamine chipboard it does splinter and chip
a little but not enough for it to be a major issue....
I then had to mark a line to cut the corner off the first bench
 so it would butt nicely up against the corner quad,
 I started with the shorter side first....
I then went back out and cut the corner off....
Dusted it all off and popped it into place....
When the other shelf unit arrives it will go in the corner where
 those containers are stacked and this will provide a very
solid base. It is OK as it is but I don't like to pass up a storage
 opportunity after having very little or none
 for my sewing supplies in the past...
Fits nice and snugly in the corner :)
I then measured and cut the other side, dusted it off and slid
 it into place. Originally I was going to screw the bench tops
 to the top of the drawer units from underneath for added
 strength but there is no need because it all fits together
 very snugly. Of cause there is a join but nothing a
strategically placed cutting board won't hide....
This is the longer side and when I move the drawer units
across a little to put the other shelf unit in the corner I will
loose the use of one power socket but that's all good because
 I only need one there for my machine and having an electrician
 brother means I have lots of power points anyway....
Yay...My plastic tubs fit perfectly into the shelving unit....
The melamine shelving has a white edge on one side so
 it has a nice clean finish on the front sides....
This is how it looks at the moment and I am pretty excited...
I am off to get some knobs today because those little silver
 hole/knob things are a bit fiddly to use and one keeps coming
 apart when I try to open it so I will put some white knobs
 on over the top of them(watch this space) and a hole saw
 bit so I can cut a hole in each bench top
 for the cords to go through..... 
I hope you all enjoy your Sunday and find time to do
something creative, be it with needle and thread
 or power tools....Ha Ha....
 
Until next time, Happy Stitching
 
Kate
 
 
 

10 comments:

creations.1 said...

Your studio is looking great Kate - I am very jealous!! When you have been missing for a few days I know where you will be found!!

Chookyblue...... said...

OMG she lives to tell the story.........thats a great spot for me and Suze to share.........

Michelle said...

Well done Kate, you have done a fantastic job! Looks great!!

Michelle said...

Well done Kate, you have done a fantastic job! Looks great!!

Susan said...

fantastic Kate. Maybe you could give some of the husbands out there a lesson or two - can I send mine??

Anita : Shabby Quilt said...

it is coming together nicely. love it.

Jindi's Cottage said...

Well done Kate...its all coming together so well...

wish2stitch said...

It's all coming together beautifully. I'm not sure how well this works, but if you put a piece of masking tape onto the pieces of shelving you are about to cut and then draw the cutting line onto the tape, it should help with the splintering.

FIONA said...

Wow it looks fantastic .... you could always give up your day job and go into "studio designing" for others ... you can come and start at my place !!! Well done handy lady !! xx

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Love it Jack of all trades sorry Jill of all trades xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...