This week in my Studio I have started playing with this kit that I purchased at my first Stitches and Craft Show in Sydney in 2012. Chooky organised a Bloggers meet up and it was one of the best days ever. I already had met some of the ladies but also got to meet some new ones including my travel buddies(You can read about it HERE HERE and HERE) Pop on over and have a look cause I am sure some of you will be in the pictures. I travelled to Lithgow and met up with Susan and Deb at McDonalds, it's so lovely the people I have met through having my sewing blog. Whilst I was waiting I was sitting there stitching and having a cuppa and a lady sitting next to me started chatting to me about my stitching. Turns out she loves all things stitching as well and was from Orange also. She introduced me to the world of Pinterest in the short 20 minutes that we sat there.....If only she knew the can of worms that she had opened for me!
So many Ideas in this head of mine....so little time!
This is a kit that I purchased that day and I am excited to have pulled it out of the cupboard to get started on it. The pattern is called Sugar Dish and the one at the Craft Show had an extra floral border added to it. I think I will have to skip that now unless someone knows a shop that still has this fabric. I am doubtful that I would be lucky enough to get any because it is such pretty fabric that I am sure it has all been snapped up. I will just go with the binding on the edge of the blocks like the original pattern.
My first ever attempt at Dresden's as well so wish me luck!
I did plan to start this last year at our Blogger's weekend in Bathurst but when I opened my kit there was only half the amount of background fabric supplied. Another Blogging friend Anita also purchased the same kit(Have you made yours yet Anita) so I emailed her to see how much fabric she was given. turns out we were both short. Anita remembered the shop we purchased it from and contacted them with our dilemma. They sent down a new piece of fabric for Anita and I was lucky to be given the piece from Anita's kit. I really liked the print and of cause the shop had sold out so I was excited to now have enough to start.
WELL!!!! What do they say? Measure twice, cut once. I measured 3 times and calculated as well to be sure I would get the 2 x 8 and a half inch strips and the 14 x 1 and a half inch strips needed.
I cut the 2 larger strips first and then started cutting the smaller strips, I was up to 5 when I realised that I was cutting them at 2 and a half inches and not 1 and a half!!!!!!!!
It almost went straight back into the cupboard at this point!!!
But after some more calculations and using the leftover piece from the larger strips I managed to get all the pieces that I needed from the background print....
PHEW with less than an 8 inch square to spare....
Needless to say by this time it was wine o'clock and
no more cutting for me for that evening!
This is the fabric range that I am using, I really did not
want to unwind that pretty jelly roll but I did...
These are the 36 strips that I have chosen to use for the
blocks, I now have to cut those to size and also cut the
Dresden's from them but that will be another day
after I measure twice and cut once hopefully!
6 strips left over. I pulled out the lightest ones
and a double up of the aqua dot....
Friday today! Woo Hoo!
Hopefully I will get to spend some time out in my studio
tomorrow afternoon. I am having a stall with my
"Pickled on Peisley" products in the morning at a Monster
Garage Sale so will be nice to play in the Studio in the afternoon.
Have a great weekend Blogland
Until next time, Happy Stitching