Tuesday, 20 January 2015

Building A Design Wall Part Three

 
Here we are again with the third and final
post about building my Design Wall....
Pictured below are the necessary bits and
 pieces for the completion of my project...
I decided to make the silver side of the insulation boards
 the front and first step was to fold the wadding over the top
 edge of the board and run a row of staples
 along to hold it and firmly in place....
I also ran a length of packing tape along the edge of the
wadding for added strength and to hold the staples in place....
Because of the size and lack of space inside my Studio and the
fact that I decided to use spray adhesive, I asked Miss Molly to
help me move the board outside so I had plenty of room
to work. The glare from the insulation boards and the cream
wadding was quite blinding because it was in full sun...
 I recommend this be done in the shade if possible but of cause
 I couldn't wait so it was on with the sunglasses and straw hat.
I also changed the brown packing tape to clear on this side
of the insulation boards to avoid the brown tape line being
visible through the wadding once it was up on the wall. I
 gave the whole thing a good covering with spray adhesive....
Bit by bit I rolled stretched and smoothed the wadding onto the
 board spraying more adhesive as I went, I used up the whole
can and am really happy with how it stuck down....
I then called on the help of Miss Molly to help me move it
inside because as I said the glare was really blinding me....
 We placed it face down on my kitchen table and I then turned
 the other three sides over to the back and stapled and
 taped until it was all firm and nice and secure....
At this stage I could have just leant it up against the wall and it
would have been ready to go but I wanted it in a frame....
We carried it back out to the studio and slid the right hand side
 snugly behind the outer frame, I then nailed the top of the outer
 frame up to hold the top of the board securely into place....
It all fits together perfectly so by this stage I was getting really
excited about just how well it was looking....
Insert Happy Dance....LOL!
This pic shows the top corner on the left hand side....
See how it sits in behind the outer frame....
I then nailed the left hand side frame up and surprisingly it was
 the straightest bit of timber and required no real effort in the
 bending and pushing department....
Then I had a WOOPS moment and cut the bottom piece
of timber too short!!!! Duh!
I can assure you that Woops was definitely not the word
 I used but this is a family blog after all..
I think fatigue was setting in or too much excitement and lack
 of concentration....One or the other...LOL!
So a little patch up job was in order, luckily I had a piece left
over from the sides so I cut it to fit and nailed it on....
Putty Time! Almost there....Yay!
This putty was really easy to work with, I just pushed
it into the holes and joins with my finger and wiped
 off the excess with a damp cloth.....
BEAUTIFUL!!!!
I then went over the whole frame with a light
layer of stain to tie it all together....
I am so glad that I stained all the timber before putting it up
 on the wall, it made it so much easier once it was up....

Final step was to give the frame a really good wax with this...
This stuff smells amazing....
It was as simple as wax on with a piece
of cheesecloth all the way around...

And then a good buffing with another piece of cheesecloth....

The wax finished the timber off perfectly and has just the right
amount of sheen, it was the first time I have waxed anything
 and I am sure it won't be the last....
Here it is the finished product....
It turned out just how I wanted and far better
 than I had imagined it would....
Just goes to show if we set our minds to something then anything
 is possible with a bit of effort and determination....
All ready for some designing or creating!!!! Yay!
Can't wait to see "Natures Journey" up there....
I have cut the leftover piece of insulation board in two
and will cover those another time to make
 some portable mini design walls....
Maybe one that I can lie on its side and pop against the
 wall behind my sewing machine....
This corner of the Studio will be my next project....
I will be building a corner bench here with drawers at either
end for storage, I have the two white counter tops and am taking
 a day trip to Ikea tomorrow with my non sewing friend
 Annalisa(She is a great shopping friend though) to find some
 chests of drawers and maybe some type of
 shelving unit for overhead storage....
Watch this space.....
Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have enjoyed the
 process as much as I have, and just remember anything
 is possible if you set your mind to it....
 
Until next time, Happy Stitching
 
Kate
 
 

8 comments:

Anita : Shabby Quilt said...

Kate you have done a great job. It looks fantastic. great idea, love the staining.

Christine M said...

Your design wall looks fantastic, Kate. You are quite the handy woman! Oh, so many talents!

Deb R said...

Am so jealous you have done an amazing job Kate! Now get cracking and fill that wall lol x

Susan said...

A beautiful job - amazing what we women can do - so neat - and huge too - lots of projects will fit on that space.

Susan said...

It looks great Kate, well done.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Well Miss Kate you really one amazing girl xx

Lynda said...

It's just brilliant! Congratulations. I'm sure you'll find so much in Ikea. I never come away from there empty-handed.

Fiona@Dragonfly-Sewing said...

Oh Kate it looks FANTASTIC
Oops and all xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...